Thursday 21 August 2014

Raised From The Deep

Jimjams - Layout detail - Doily & scrabble title
Do you ever get frustrated that your holiday photos simply haven't worked?  Or realise whilst taking them that you haven't got the right lighting/vantage point/equipment/skills?
If in doubt buy a postcard!

This page uses two postcards from the Vasa Museum because, although I took lots of photos of the ship and the surrounding museum exhibits, I simply couldn't get the whole ship in my viewfinder!

My page started life as Sketch 'n' Scrap's sketch #62 but I merged the lower two photos to accommodate my second postcard!

Sketch~n~Scrap #62

Then, as is my habit with sketches, I decided to put the journalling elsewhere and tucked it behind the top postcard with a chevron pull and added more chevrons to mimic the sinking of the ship on its maiden voyage!

Jimjams - Layout - Vasa museet

Jimjams - Layout detail - layered embellishments

Back when I worked in Sweden, the Vasa was in the final stages of nearly 20 years of preservation work, having been raised from the harbour bed in 1962.  I missed seeing it then, so I was really excited to visit the museum last year and it did not disappoint - though it's best not to visit on a day when the huge cruise liners have already unloaded hundreds thousands of tourists! Luckily, having seen the enormous queues, we had the time to change our sightseeing plans and returned early the next day!

Supplies are from my August Counterfeit Kit, including some blinged up children's stickers I showed here on the CKCB

22 comments:

Lisa said...

Love your take on the sketch! I like how you did your title with the scrabble tiles, great idea! Thanks for joining us at Sketch N Scrap this month!

Missus Wookie said...

Good planning to arrive early the next day. I often pick up postcards - figure it has to be a good addition to my scrapbook.

Mary B said...

wow fantastic page. love the chevrons and the wavy pp is perfect. The colour combo striking and vibrant all together a super Layout

M said...

Great layout! Love your use of chevrons. Thanks for joining us at SketchNScrap! :)

Ladkyis said...

We have a ship here in Newport it is the most important mediaeval vessel ever to be found. The Mary Rose Trust says it is more important that their ship! and what is going to happen to it when the lease runs out on the building that houses it while the conservation is completed? Oh we don't know because the council have only had ten years to find a good place to keep it so it will probably be put into storage.
~sigh~

Lisa said...

interesting! I find myself picking up dozens of postcards wherever I am and often forget to do anything with them. the photos featured on them are usually a thousand times better than I could manage and many places don't even allow photos so your tip is a good one to remember. I spy that great chevron punch again! looking good....

Kerry said...

You could have passed them off as your photo's lol! I just love the colour scheme on your page and the little stars are perfect addition with the chevrons. Thanks for sharing your wonderful layout with us at Sketch N Scrap. xx

Rachelle Olaridge said...

Beautiful and fantastic LO. Love those pics. WTG!!!! Thanks for playing along with us at
Sketch N Scrap!

Lydia said...

I love the chevrons and wooden "scrabble" pieces. They really accent your photos.

Thank you for playing along with us at sketch n scrap

Tina Campbell said...

Love your take on this sketch :) It's a sweet layout and I love the use of the postcards really gives some awesome pictures of the ship

Unknown said...

Love your take on this sketch, terrific job, and those photos are beautiful!!!

Lesley G said...

I would never have guessed those weren't your own photos! Love you forgeries and those chevrons ;)

Wendy said...

Great job interpreting the sketch! The title work is awesome! I also pick up postcards -- it is a sure way to get a great photo! Also, I enjoyed reading how you tucked your journaling into the layout! Thank you for joining us at Sketch N Scrap! (BTW, I had to take a double look at your blog! I have the same background! Excellent taste my friend!)

Margie said...

Beautiful page-and that's a great tip about using the postcards for photos! I do have some post cards from places I have visited, thanks for the inspiration-I may be able to go back and scrap a few things with fresh eyes now!

Susanne said...

Cool photos and your orange paper really takes them up a notch.

Sherri Everett Thompson said...

Great layout, Jemma! Those colors really play up your photos!

Sassy Breese said...

Another reason why I like scrapbooking. I learn so many interesting things. Had never heard of Vasa. My close personal friends, Mr. Google and Miss Wikipedia were happy to indulge my curiosity. Thank you for bringing Vasa Museum into my radar.

I have used brochure pictures in my layouts before, mostly to supplement my photos. What a great job these post cards do of capturing the grandeur of the ship.

Daphne said...

Love your layout - the colours are just great! I especially like how you used the patterned paper and the arrows to go with it. Great work! Thanks for your inspiration, I might try this sketch as well soon!
Daphnex

Kelly said...

What a fantastic layout! Love all the chevrons and the color choices! Thanks for playing along with Sketch N Scrap! :)

Darcy said...

Love the scrabble tiles and the split photo! Thank you for sharing with us at Sketch ~N~ Scrap!

Susan Renshaw said...

Super layout! Love the chevrons...thanks for sharing with SNS!

Tammi said...

awesome take on the sketch!! Thanks for joining us at Sketch N Scrap!!!